Ijebu Egusi soup is Egusi soup that the Ijebus like to prepare in their own way. It is their unique delicacy, and with good reason. It is delicious and rich in lots of protein, including meats and fish, and the iru (locust beans) with optional ogiri, make it worth your time.
|Servings: 08||Prep. time: 15 minutes||Cook time: 45 minutes|
- 2 Cups Ground Egusi ground.
- 1 Red Bell Pepper.
- Habanero Peppers
- 1/4 (washed) cup iru
- 1/2 Cup ground Crayfish
- 1 cup of palm oil.
- 500 g pre-cooked goat meat.
- 100 g beef tripe.
- 100 g Skin to the cow
- Cleaned 1 or 2 dry fish, and de-boned.
- 200 g Fish on hand.
- 6 Cups of stuffed meat.
- Bring meat stocks to Boil
- Mix Egusi, onions, habanero pepper, red bell pepper in a mixer until smooth
- Pour Egusi mix into the boiling beef stock.
- Add iru and crayfish (Already Washed with water).
- Stir Egusi blend well with the meat stock (you need to keep stirring at intervals to prevent the egusi from clumping together like efo-elegusi)
- Add palm oil and cook medium-high soup for 30-35 mins while constantly stirring. Top up with water as needed, since Egusi ijebu should not be thick with a light consistency.
- Add the meats and fish pre-cooked, taste seasoning, and adjust accordingly.
- Let them simmer for another 5 minutes. Turn off heat and slightly leave the pot open to let off steam.
- Enjoy with your favorite swallow.
There you have it—delicious Ijebu Egusi Soup. We guarantee that these recipes will smell amazing as you cook, and they’ll taste even better once you try them!
If you’re looking to sample the real deal, we’ve got you covered! We’re an African grocery and delivery service in Ontario, and we carry some of the finest ingredients you can use in these recipes to give you an authentic taste. Feel free to browse through our growing selection of products.